Many of us have experienced some kind of marking event that changed who we are and the course of our lives. And, almost just as many spent decades trying to find their way back home to who they once were.
The reason is that trauma gets linked into our nervous system, and then later, each time something outside triggers the old wound, the emotional response gets reactivated. This reaction is often unconscious – meaning we don’t realize it until an unhealthy pattern becomes more apparent and we acknowledge it’s time to heal or let go.
When we are still ‘infected’ with the past, and experience visible emotional and psychological signs that the wound is still locked within us, we have developed Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
There are two types of PTSD:
- High level Traumatic Experience: such as childhood trauma, sexual assault, physical abuse, physical threat
Low level Traumatic Recurrence: such as bullying, harassment, abusive criticisms, degradation, which leads to Complex PTSD
Complex PTSD is a form of PTSD that can come from being bullied at school, going through an abusive, toxic relationship, experiencing harassment at work, or growing up in an environment where you were made to feel ‘not good enough’.
All of these turbulent emotions have an effect on our brain, our development, on who we believe ourselves to be – but it’s not the core of who we are!
Pain changes us and those who suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder often feel a low sense of self-worth or esteem, and are not centered within themselves.
They can experience a feeling of unworthiness, sadness, or depression that is long-standing, which influences important decisions in their lives.
Symptoms of PTSD and Complex PTSD are very similar:
- Emotional pain manifested physically, such as, migraine, dizziness, chest pains, stomach and digestive issues, chronic pain
- Nightmares, flashbacks
- Difficulties falling asleep or waking up
- Depression or/and anxiety
- Social withdrawal
- Suppression, repression, numbing
- Hyper alertness
- Guilt, shame, low self-worth
These are conditioned mindsets that can be healed and resolved, so you can become the better version of you, and live your TrueSelf.
So If You Feel…
- That something inside of you has greater control over you
- That certain things in your environment trigger unpleasant reactions like anger, self-doubt, anxiety, or sadness
- That you experience a loss of control and can’t seem to manage your emotions
- That you have a two-step forward, one-step back kind of approach to life where you want something but feel something inside is holding you back
…you may have some PTSD triggers that need to be removed.
The TrueSelf Center specializes in removing these triggers so they no longer have an impact on your behaviour and you get to regain control of your life!
The TrueSelf Psychology™ program includes a Shift Therapy session – a psychodynamic exercise where we revisit active trigger patterns in order to heal and deactivate them from your nervous system, to then recondition your mind so that the past no longer affects you in your present moment reality. You will feel free, relieved and comfortable in your skin. Ready to live true to yourself again.
An Alignment Coaching Psychology
System To Your Emotional Wellness
You are one CALL away from living a TrueSelf life! Book your appointment today with one of our TrueSelf psychologist, coaches and therapists in Montreal or Online.
Not in Montreal? We offer online sessions!
If you are not in Montreal, but would like to benefit from our TrueSelf therapy and coaching services, we offer online sessions via Zoom, Messenger, or phone. These work just as effectively as being there in person – Give it a try!